These sopes, or cornmeal cakes, make wonderful appetizers. Top them with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of green onions or use refried beans with tomatoes and olives.
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 cup masa harina flour (Mexican corn masa mix)
- 1/4 cup shortening or lard
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chiles
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- 1 can (16 oz.) refried beans, warmed
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded cheddar, Monterey Jack or crumbled cotija cheese
- Topping Suggestions: taco sauce, sliced pickled jalapeños, sour cream and/or chopped green onions, (optional)
PLACE corn meal and flour in large bowl; cut in shortening with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add water, kneading until smooth. Add chiles; mix well. Form dough into 16 small balls. Pat each ball into 3-inch patty; place on wax paper.
HEAT 1 teaspoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Cook patties for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown, adding additional oil as needed to prevent sticking.
TOP with beans, cheese, taco sauce, jalapeño slices, sour cream and green onions.
Review This Recipe
Make it healthier!!!
I made this recipe and it is delicious!!! This is an excellent recipe. Next time I will make it with natural ingredients I am sure it will still be gorgeous!!
Read More Reviews