These sopes, or cornmeal cakes, make wonderful appetizers. Top them with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of green onions or use refried beans with tomatoes and olives.
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 cup masa harina flour (Mexican corn masa mix)
- 1/4 cup shortening or lard
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chiles
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- 1 can (16 oz.) refried beans, warmed
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded cheddar, Monterey Jack or crumbled cotija cheese
- Topping Suggestions: taco sauce, sliced pickled jalapeños, sour cream and/or chopped green onions, (optional)
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
HEAT 1 teaspoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Cook patties for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown, adding additional oil as needed to prevent sticking.
TOP with beans, cheese, taco sauce, jalapeño slices, sour cream and green onions.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
they tasted so good very favorful. My kids and husband love them. thanks
this is great for a sunday afternoon for picnic food.
GOT TO FIND THE INGREDIENTS AND TRY THIS ONE
I love this receipe. Better then buying the ones in the Store, which are dry and not favorful. I did not know it could be this easy.
Make it healthier!!!
I made this recipe and it is delicious!!! This is an excellent recipe. Next time I will make it with natural ingredients I am sure it will still be gorgeous!!
Serving Size: 1/16 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 150
- Calories from Fat: 60
- Total Fat: 7g (10% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g (11% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 5mg (2% of DV)
- Sodium: 180mg (8% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 19g (6% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 2g (8% of DV)
- Sugars: 1g
- Protein: 4g
- Vitamin A: 2% of DV
- Vitamin C: 4% of DV
- Calcium: 8% of DV
- Iron: 6% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.