Southern-Style Creamy Shrimp Over Rice is easy to prepare and great for family gatherings or potlucks.
- 6 cups cooked white rice, kept warm
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pkg. (16 oz.) frozen peeled, cooked shrimp, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon OLD BAY Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce or to taste (optional)
MELT butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add celery, green pepper, onion, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in evaporated milk, water and tomato paste. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture just comes to a boil. Cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture slightly thickens. Stir in shrimp, parsley, seasoning, salt and hot pepper sauce. Cook until heated through.
SERVE over rice.
NOTE:If a spicier dish is desired, substitute Creole seasoning for the OLD BAY Seasoning.
Review This Recipe
very good and easy to make
Read More Reviews