Southern-Style Creamy Shrimp Over Rice is easy to prepare and great for family gatherings or potlucks.
- 6 cups cooked white rice, kept warm
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pkg. (16 oz.) frozen peeled, cooked shrimp, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon OLD BAY Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce or to taste (optional)
MELT butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add celery, green pepper, onion, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in evaporated milk, water and tomato paste. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture just comes to a boil. Cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture slightly thickens. Stir in shrimp, parsley, seasoning, salt and hot pepper sauce. Cook until heated through.
SERVE over rice.
NOTE:If a spicier dish is desired, substitute Creole seasoning for the OLD BAY Seasoning.
Review This Recipe
I liked this recipe but there was to much parsley. I'll make it again but use cilantro and I'm going to try chicken broth instead of water. It also could have used some extra tomato paste. My 13 yr old daughter loved it.
Read More Reviews