Southern-Style Creamy Shrimp Over Rice
Southern-Style Creamy Shrimp Over Rice is easy to prepare and great for family gatherings or potlucks.
- 6 cups cooked white rice, kept warm
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pkg. (16 oz.) frozen peeled, cooked shrimp, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon OLD BAY Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce or to taste (optional)
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
SERVE over rice.
NOTE:If a spicier dish is desired, substitute Creole seasoning for the OLD BAY Seasoning.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
Quick and full of flavor
Get your shrimp fix with this easy to prepare and family-pleasing meal. All in one pot (with rice on the side). Didn't have tomato paste, substituted tomato sauce for paste & water. Also substituted our favorite seasonings for parsley, Old Bay and salt. Sprinkled tobasco on adult portions. Mmmmm! Will definetly make this one again and again.
Simple and Great
We loved this recipe. Living on the gulf coast, I used fresh peeled and deveined shrimp instead of the frozen. I cooked them in a pan with a little olive oil and cayenne. I also substituted cayenne for the old bay as others suggested and used fat free evaporated milk. I will definately make this many more times.
Very Flavorful and Easy!!
This meal has a lot of flavor. It is very easy and quick!! I enjoyed it very much!! I will make this agian.
This was very good. My family loved it. I used angel hair pasta instead of rice. My husband will not touch it if there is rice in it. The next time I will use a heavier noodle like linguine.
I liked this recipe but there was to much parsley. I'll make it again but use cilantro and I'm going to try chicken broth instead of water. It also could have used some extra tomato paste. My 13 yr old daughter loved it.
Serving Size: 1/6 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 500
- Calories from Fat: 120
- Total Fat: 13g (20% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 8g (39% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 190mg (63% of DV)
- Sodium: 510mg (21% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 68g (23% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 2g (7% of DV)
- Sugars: 8g
- Protein: 26g
- Vitamin A: 15% of DV
- Vitamin C: 35% of DV
- Calcium: 20% of DV
- Iron: 35% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.