A hearty cheesy, broccoli casserole with mushrooms and jalapeños; this is a delicious side dish with a spicy kick!
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and diced
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon MAGGI Granulated Chicken Flavor Bouillon OR 1 tablet MAGGI Chicken Flavor Bouillon, dissolved in 1 1/2 cups warm water, divided
- 1 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli florets
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican-Style four cheese blend
- 1 cup crushed saltine crackers
PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
MELT butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and jalapeños; cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 minutes or until softened. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 minutes or until they begin to brown. Sprinkle in flour, chili powder and red pepper flakes; stir for 1 minute. Add ½ cup bouillon mixture; cook for 3 minutes or until the mixture is thick. Remove from heat; stir in evaporated milk. Transfer to a large bowl.
PLACE broccoli in a large steamer basket with the remaining 1 cup of bouillon mixture; steam for 3 minutes or until barely tender. Drain excess liquid; chop broccoli. Add broccoli to mushroom mixture; stir to combine.
POUR broccoli-mushroom mixture into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Top with crushed crackers.
BAKE for 30 minutes or until the topping is golden and crisp. Serve warm.
NUTRITION TIP: To reduce fat, use NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Fat Free Milk or NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Lowfat 2% Milk.