Spinach and Cheese Overnight Strata
Spinach and Cheese Overnight Strata is a layered casserole combining the rich flavors of Gruyère and Parmesan cheese, a little tang from Dijon mustard paired with spinach and cubed bread to make a delightful main dish. Great for brunch or a light dinner.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 MAGGI Vegetable Flavor Bouillon Cubes, crushed, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 8 cups cubed (1-inch) French or Italian bread
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Gruyère or fontina cheese, divided
- 1 cup (3 ounces) BUITONI Refrigerated Freshly Shredded Parmesan Cheese (5 oz.), divided
- 3 cups milk
- 9 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (optional)
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
MELT butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Stir in two-thirds of crushed bouillon, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and nutmeg. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in spinach; remove from heat.
SPREAD half of bread into prepared dish. Top with half of spinach mixture and then half of Gruyère cheese and half of Parmesan cheese.
COMBINE milk, eggs, mustard, remaining crushed bouillon and remaining pepper in large bowl. Pour evenly over bread mixture. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Let strata stand at room temperature for 30 minutes; uncover.
BAKE for 45 to 50 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Be the first to review this recipe!
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
Serving Size: 1/8 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.