With its savory flavors, this Spinach and Cheese Strata is perfect for brunch or as a side dish. Garnish with fresh herbs for some extra flair.
- 1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed of moisture
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 8 cups cubed (1-inch) French bread, divided
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded Gruyère or Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 cup (3 oz.) BUITONI Refrigerated Freshly Shredded Parmesan Cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1 cup Original NESTLÉ COFFEE-MATE Powdered Coffee Creamer
- 9 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
GREASE 3-quart casserole dish or 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
MELT butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir in spinach; remove from heat.
PLACE half of bread cubes in prepared dish. Top evenly with half of spinach mixture. Sprinkle with half of the cheeses. Repeat layering, ending with cheese.
WHISK together water and Coffee-mate in medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in eggs, mustard, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pour evenly over strata. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Allow strata to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes prior to baking.
BAKE, uncovered, for 45 to 50 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
NOTE: 1 1/2 cups NESTLÉ COFFEE-MATE Original Low Fat Liquid Coffee Creamer can be used in place of 1 1/2 cups hot water and 1 cup NESTLÉ COFFEE-MATE Powdered Coffee Creamer.
Review This Recipe
Spinach and Cheese Strata
So very delicious. I could eat this any time of the day. Even those who did not like spinach thought that it was good. I will make it more often. It makes a great meal any time of the day and you have everything that you need in 1 dish.
Read More Reviews