Squash with Shiitake Mushrooms
Recipe compliments of cookbook author Ying Chang Compestine.
Squash with Shiitake Mushrooms is a simple weeknight meal for healthy eating. Also a good side dish.
Shiitake mushrooms have been long used in Asia for strengthening the immune system and are low in calories and a good source of fiber. They're high in A, B2, B12 and C vitamins. Chinese doctors believe they stimulate the Qi. There are different types of shiitake, dried and fresh. The dried ones need to be soaked in warm water. Wash the cap carefully.
Squash is high in fiber and vitamin A, which helps improve your vision. B vitamins prevent depression.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 8 ounces (2 cups) sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 4 ounces ground pork
- 2 pounds (4 cups) kabocha squash or butternut squash, seeded, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon MAGGI Seasoning Sauce
- 1 teaspoon MAGGI Instant Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Chopped green onions
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
STIR in water, seasoning sauce, bouillon and sugar. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until squash is just tender. Add a small amount of water if needed.
SERVE sprinkled with additional chopped green onions.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Be the first to review this recipe!
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
Serving Size: 1/4 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 270
- Calories from Fat: 120
- Total Fat: 13g (21% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g (16% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 20mg (7% of DV)
- Sodium: 610mg (25% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 34g (11% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 8g (30% of DV)
- Sugars: 8g
- Protein: 8g
- Vitamin A: 460% of DV
- Vitamin C: 50% of DV
- Calcium: 10% of DV
- Iron: 10% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.