Stovetop Beef & Penne Casserole
Lean ground beef and pasta, plus the surprising addition of pumpkin and evaporated milk, make this hearty Stovetop Beef & Penne Casserole dish both nutritious and delicious.
This recipe is already doubled. Just serve your family half and freeze the rest.
- 2 cups (8 oz.) dry penne pasta (or small pasta of your choice)
- 2 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (12 fl. oz. each) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1 can (15 oz.) LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
COOK beef and onion in large saucepan over medium-high heat until beef is no longer pink; drain. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in evaporated milk, pumpkin, tomato sauce, sugar, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, salt, garlic powder and black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to simmer. Add pasta and peas; stir until heated.
• Freeze half the casserole for another meal. Thaw in refrigerator and reheat in microwave or on stovetop.
• Using pumpkin and evaporated milk not only adds depth of flavor, but also sneaks in extra nutrition to the casserole.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
Delicious, Easy, and the Kids Love It!!
This is an amazing meal. My two children are quite picky and I was nervous on the pumpkin part. But... it turned out they all loved it, even my husband!! Everyone was shocked when I told them what was in it. My kids didnt like the pumpkin part, but they finished the whole meal!!!! This was one of the healthiest and best meals Ive ever made!! I will definetly make this meal many times again!!!
Good Either Way
I didn't read all of the 83 reviews for this recipe. So I tried it with ground turkey one meal and ground beef the next time I made it. It was very good either way. And used whole wheat pasta also.
Excellent, easy and plenty to eat for all! It seemed to take a little longer than expected but worth the wait. Also good reheated.
Everybody in my family enjoyed this recipe. I added some spices to it to make it my own. It was really easy to make.
Not a hit at my house.
My husband and 3 year old hated it. Husband ate it but son actually gagged, even though he did not know about the pumpkin. I thought it would be just the thing since they both love beefy noodly stuff. I thought it was just okay, could definitely taste the pumpkin. Maybe less pumpkin, more seasonings to add some flavor.
Serving Size: 1/12 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 280
- Calories from Fat: 70
- Total Fat: 8g (12% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 4.5g (23% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 60mg (20% of DV)
- Sodium: 730mg (30% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 31g (10% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 4g (16% of DV)
- Sugars: 13g
- Protein: 24g
- Vitamin A: 100% of DV
- Vitamin C: 15% of DV
- Calcium: 15% of DV
- Iron: 15% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.