Lean ground beef and pasta, plus the surprising addition of pumpkin and evaporated milk, make this hearty Stovetop Beef & Penne Casserole dish both nutritious and delicious.
This recipe is already doubled. Just serve your family half and freeze the rest.
- 2 cups (8 oz.) dry penne pasta (or small pasta of your choice)
- 2 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (12 fl. oz. each) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1 can (15 oz.) LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
COOK pasta in large saucepan for 1 to 2 minutes less than package directions (pasta should be slightly firm in texture); drain.
COOK beef and onion in large saucepan over medium-high heat until beef is no longer pink; drain. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in evaporated milk, pumpkin, tomato sauce, sugar, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, salt, garlic powder and black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to simmer. Add pasta and peas; stir until heated.
• Freeze half the casserole for another meal. Thaw in refrigerator and reheat in microwave or on stovetop.
• Using pumpkin and evaporated milk not only adds depth of flavor, but also sneaks in extra nutrition to the casserole.
Review This Recipe
This sounds so delicious!
Who would have thought of putting pumpkin in a tomato-based pasta dish! I am so excited about making this yummy meal for my family. It will be a great way to sneak Vitamin A into their diets. I will probably use a mixture of half ground beef and half ground turkey to cut the fat and cholesterol.
The added bonus of cooking once and eating twice, makes this a recipe that I will go to again and again.
Read More Reviews