Stuffed Creamed Chayotes
Although actually a fruit, chayotes are usually served as a vegetable. This slightly sweet, stuffed version is flavored with raisins and cinnamon and is reminiscent of stuffed acorn squash.
- 4 large chayotes (about 3 lb. total)
- 1 1/2 quarts water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 large egg yolks (reserve whites)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons butter
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
BEAT egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar in small bowl until thick and pale yellow in color. Place chayote pulp, evaporated milk, egg mixture, cornstarch, remaining salt and cinnamon in large saucepan. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes just to boil and thickens. Remove from heat; stir in raisins and butter. Place chayote shells on baking sheet. Fill reserved shells with cream mixture.
PREHEAT oven to 375º F.
BEAT reserved egg whites in small mixer bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Spoon on top of stuffed chayotes.
BAKE for 10 minutes or until topping is slightly browned.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
It is so delicious.
This is so delicious it makes me want to fall in love with it.
Serving Size: 1/8 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 260
- Calories from Fat: 80
- Total Fat: 8g (13% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 5g (26% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 80mg (26% of DV)
- Sodium: 530mg (22% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 40g (13% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 2g (9% of DV)
- Sugars: 32g
- Protein: 6g
- Vitamin A: 4% of DV
- Vitamin C: 15% of DV
- Calcium: 15% of DV
- Iron: 6% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.