Take a trip to your local Italian specialty store to find such delectable items as pancetta (an Italian bacon) and mortadella (the original baloney) for this impressive Stuffed Italian Sandwich. Perfect for entertaining or parties!
- 8 ounces mild Italian sausage, cooked and sliced
- 1 large round hearty bread loaf, unsliced
- 2 tablespoons Italian dressing
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 2 ounces salami, sliced
- 1 can (2.25 ounces) sliced black olives, drained
- 1 slice red onion, 1/2-inch thick
- 4 slices mortadella
- 6 tablespoons pizza sauce
- 6 pepperoncini, drained and sliced
- 3 ounces pancetta, cooked and sliced
- 4 ounces sliced turkey
- 4 ounces sun dried tomatoes in oil, drained and sliced
- 2 tablespoons BUITONI Refrigerated Freshly Shredded Parmesan Cheese (5 oz.)
- 1 tablespoon BUITONI Refrigerated All Natural Pesto with Basil (7 oz.)
- BUITONI Refrigerated All Natural Pesto with Basil (11 oz.)
PLACE bread on baking sheet. Remove top one-fourth of loaf. With fingers, hollow out bread top and bottom without breaking through crust.
SPREAD Italian dressing evenly inside bottom of loaf. Place half of provolone cheese slices across bottom of bread. Layer the following ingredients: salami, olives, sausage, onion, mortadella, pizza sauce, pepperoncini, pancetta, turkey, sun-dried tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, pesto and remaining slices of provolone.
REPLACE top onto bread. Place another baking sheet on top of bread and top with a 5 to 10 pound weighted object. Allow to sit for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Sandwich should be compressed, but not smashed. Cut into wedges and serve.
Review This Recipe
Reminds me of home
I'm from N.Y. and this one reminds me of some of the sandwiches I use to get back at home. Its good to see something else I can make to remind me of it. God knows I miss N.Y. and I will be back at home in 2009 after I finishing my graduate degree. Thanks for sharing this one.
This is very flavorful, an excellent choice for any meal