Sugar-Dusted Wheat Muffins with Berries & Cherries are accented with nutmeg and make a delightful treat to wake up to in the morning! Serve warm. These are great to make ahead and freeze, too.
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 pkg. (6 oz.) or 1 1/3 cups dried mixed cranberries, blueberries and cherries, coarsely chopped
PREHEAT oven 350º F. Grease or paper-line 18 muffin cups.
COMBINE 2 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, 2/3 cup brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in large bowl. Mix evaporated milk, eggs, oil and vanilla extract in small bowl. Add milk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Stir in dried fruit. Spoon into prepared muffin cups, filling 3/4 full.
COMBINE remaining 1/3 cup brown sugar and remaining 2 tablespoons flour in small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over muffin batter.
BAKE for 15 to 18 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 5 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool slightly. Serve warm.
COOKING TIP: Muffins can be frozen up to a month. Wrap in heavy-duty foil or plastic wrap and then place in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag.
Review This Recipe
Easy and Healthy
I found that if you use whole wheat pastry four, these muffins are still moist and have even more fiber and vitamins. Guilt free gourmet!
Read More Reviews