Meatballs and ribbon noodles are a quintessential Swedish dish. Moistened with evaporated milk and seasoned with dill, these tender and aromatic meatballs are the perfect partner for luscious noodles and gravy. This is great for both family gatherings or casual entertaining.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Instant Nonfat Dry Milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed*
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 10 cups (1 lb.) dry noodles, cooked and drained
PREHEAT oven to 350° F.
MIX all meatball ingredients lightly but thoroughly in medium bowl. Shape into 2-inch balls. Place in jelly-roll pan.
BAKE for 20 to 25 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain; reserve fat drippings. Keep meatballs warm.
COMBINE 1/2 cup fat drippings from meatballs (adding vegetable oil to make 1/2 cup) and flour in large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in broth, evaporated milk, dill and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens slightly. Add meatballs to sauce; stir. Serve over noodles.
Review This Recipe
My sauce turned out a little bit runny. The meat balls had good flavor though and do hold together very well.
Read More Reviews