A finalist in the 2002 Ortega® “Create a Fiesta, Win a Siesta!” Contest, this dish was submitted by Loanne Chiu of Fort Worth, Texas. This recipe is a savory blend of chocolate milk, red bell peppers, taco sauce, salsa, almonds and a hint of cinnamon to create the perfect combination of sweet and spicy flavors. The dish is easy to make (no chopping required) and can be beautifully presented with white rice and toasted sesame seeds sprinkled on top.
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt, divided
- 12 (about 4 pounds) chicken thighs, skinless
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 bottle ORTEGA Thick & Smooth Taco Sauce - Mild
- 1 cup ORTEGA Salsa - Homestyle Recipe (Mild)
- 1 cup NESTLÉ NESQUIK Refrigerated Ready-to-Drink Chocolate Milk
- 1/2 cup ground almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 garnish romaine lettuce leaves, cooked rice and/or toasted sesame seeds
PREHEAT oven to 400° F. Combine flour and 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt in shallow dish. Coat chicken with flour mixture.
HEAT oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook, turning frequently, until golden brown on all sides. Combine taco sauce, salsa, Nesquik, almonds, raisins, cinnamon and remaining seasoned salt in ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Place chicken in sauce; spoon sauce over chicken.
BAKE, uncovered, for 30 minutes; top with red pepper. Continue baking for 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink near bone. Line large serving platter with lettuce. Mound rice in center of platter; place chicken and sauce around rice. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Review This Recipe
I have one word to say about this:
Nothing more needs to be said as you will find out.
This has definitely made an addition into my travel cookbook.