Delight kids with these creative "bugs" made from apples and celery and peanut butter decorated with tasty NERD candies. Kids will have a lot of fun decorating their favorite "bugs".
- 1 to 2 boxes (1.65 ounces each) any flavor WONKA NERDS Candies
- 2 red apples
- 1 bunch celery
- 1 bag shredded carrots
- Small jar of creamy peanut butter
- 1 sealable plastic storage bag
- Safety scissors
- Kitchen knife
SPOON peanut butter into a sealable plastic storage bag. Seal bag and cut the tip off one corner of the bottom of the bag. Squeeze peanut butter into corner of the bag and use to dispense peanut butter, like frosting from a pastry bag.
• Cut an apple in half and place one half, cut side down, on a plate.
• Using peanut butter as "glue" make a face for your ladybug using NERDS and a small slice of celery.
• Again, using peanut butter for "glue" give the ladybug NERDS spots.
• Parents Only: With the tip of a knife, poke two small holes in the apple just above the ladybug's eyes. Insert one carrot shred into each hole for her antennae.
• Cut a thick vertical slice from a whole apple, just missing the core.
• Cut a celery stick that is about 1 inch longer than the width of the apple slice.
• Fill the trough of the celery stick with peanut butter, and set aside.
• Using the plastic bag filled with peanut butter, draw a spiral on both sides of the apple slice.
• Wedge the apple slice into the filled celery stick.
• Decorate the snail's shell (the red band of apple peel) with NERDS.
• Add NERDS to one end of the celery stick to make his eyes.
• Don't forget to add two carrot shreds for antennae!
• Cut a 3 inch long piece of celery and fill the trough with peanut butter.
• Place two NERDS at one end of the stalk with two carrot stick shreds poking out behind them for antennae.
• Place NERDS down the length of the celery stick on top of the peanut butter at even intervals.
• Before placing the caterpillar on the plate, lay down four or five carrot shreds for him to rest upon. These will be his legs.
• Cut two 1 inch wedges from an apple and place on a plate, narrow edges together.
• Cut a celery stalk to the same length as the apple wedges.
• Place the celery stick, trough side down between the two apple wedges on a plate.
• With your peanut butter piping bag, draw stripes across the celery stick to decorate the butterfly's body. Use the NERDS to make eyes for your butterfly.
• Decorate the butterfly's wings with NERDS.
LITTLE KITCHEN HELPER HINTS
• Adults should do all the cutting, but the kids are the ones who can really get creative. Let them have fun decorating their favorite bugs.
• Go on a bug hunt! See if you can match your tasty bugs with the real thing.