Delight kids with these creative "bugs" made from apples and celery and peanut butter decorated with tasty NERD candies. Kids will have a lot of fun decorating their favorite "bugs".
- 1 to 2 boxes (1.65 ounces each) any flavor WONKA NERDS Candies
- 2 red apples
- 1 bunch celery
- 1 bag shredded carrots
- Small jar of creamy peanut butter
- 1 sealable plastic storage bag
- Safety scissors
- Kitchen knife
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
• Cut an apple in half and place one half, cut side down, on a plate.
• Using peanut butter as "glue" make a face for your ladybug using NERDS and a small slice of celery.
• Again, using peanut butter for "glue" give the ladybug NERDS spots.
• Parents Only: With the tip of a knife, poke two small holes in the apple just above the ladybug's eyes. Insert one carrot shred into each hole for her antennae.
• Cut a thick vertical slice from a whole apple, just missing the core.
• Cut a celery stick that is about 1 inch longer than the width of the apple slice.
• Fill the trough of the celery stick with peanut butter, and set aside.
• Using the plastic bag filled with peanut butter, draw a spiral on both sides of the apple slice.
• Wedge the apple slice into the filled celery stick.
• Decorate the snail's shell (the red band of apple peel) with NERDS.
• Add NERDS to one end of the celery stick to make his eyes.
• Don't forget to add two carrot shreds for antennae!
• Cut a 3 inch long piece of celery and fill the trough with peanut butter.
• Place two NERDS at one end of the stalk with two carrot stick shreds poking out behind them for antennae.
• Place NERDS down the length of the celery stick on top of the peanut butter at even intervals.
• Before placing the caterpillar on the plate, lay down four or five carrot shreds for him to rest upon. These will be his legs.
• Cut two 1 inch wedges from an apple and place on a plate, narrow edges together.
• Cut a celery stalk to the same length as the apple wedges.
• Place the celery stick, trough side down between the two apple wedges on a plate.
• With your peanut butter piping bag, draw stripes across the celery stick to decorate the butterfly's body. Use the NERDS to make eyes for your butterfly.
• Decorate the butterfly's wings with NERDS.
LITTLE KITCHEN HELPER HINTS
• Adults should do all the cutting, but the kids are the ones who can really get creative. Let them have fun decorating their favorite bugs.
• Go on a bug hunt! See if you can match your tasty bugs with the real thing.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Be the first to review this recipe!
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
Serving Size: 1/4 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 150
- Calories from Fat: 80
- Total Fat: 8g (13% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g (8% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 0mg (0% of DV)
- Sodium: 100mg (4% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 16g (5% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 3g (10% of DV)
- Sugars: 12g
- Protein: 4g
- Vitamin A: 15% of DV
- Vitamin C: 4% of DV
- Calcium: 2% of DV
- Iron: 2% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.