Traditional Chilean Corn & Chicken Pie
Traditional Chilean Corn & Chicken Pie is one of Chile's favorites. Bake it, then sprinkle the top layer with sugar and broil it for a touch of sweetness.
- SHREDDED CHICKEN
- 1 large whole chicken, about 3 1/2 lbs.
- 1 onion, cut into quarters
- 4 whole cloves (put one clove in each quarter of onion)
- 4 to 6 black peppercorns
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 stalk celery, cut into pieces
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Water (enough to cover chicken)
- CORN BATTER
- 4 cans (15 14 oz. each) whole kernel corn (about 6 cups), drained, divided
- 1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk, divided
- 1/4 cup yellow corn meal, divided
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cornstarch (if slightly drier crust is desired), optional
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 8 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 2 1/2 cups (about 2 medium) chopped onion
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce or to taste
- 1 can (2.25 oz.) sliced black olives, drained
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 to 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
PLACE chicken, onion, carrot, celery, thyme, bay leaves and peppercorns in large pot. Cover chicken with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to simmer; cook until chicken is tender and completely cooked, about 45 to 50 minutes. Remove chicken from pot and set aside to cool. Strain stock into another pot or large bowls; set aside to cool. Remove layer of fat. Reserve stock for another use. Reserve onion pieces with cloves removed. Shred chicken (removing all meat from bones); set aside. Makes about 4 cups shredded chicken.
FOR CORN BATTER:
PREHEAT oven to 375º F.
TRANSFER half of reserved onion pieces cooked with chicken to blender container. Add half of corn kernels, 3/4 cup evaporated milk, 2 tablespoons corn meal and cornstarch; cover. Blend until smooth. Pour mixture into large bowl. Repeat with remaining onion, corn kernels, evaporated milk and corn meal. Add to mixture in large bowl; stir to blend batches.
HEAT 2 tablespoons oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add basil, stirring about 1 minute to flavor oil. Add corn batter; cook, stirring constantly, until blended and thickened (about 10 minutes). Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
HEAT the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid evaporates and onion is soft (about 10 minutes). Add shredded chicken, paprika, cinnamon, cumin, hot sauce, olives, raisins and eggs. Season with remaining salt and black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes to blend.
SPREAD chicken mixture in the bottom of a large casserole (about 4 quarts or deep 13 x 9-inch baking dish) or smaller ovenproof dishes. Spread corn mixture on top, sprinkle with sugar.
BAKE for 40 to 50 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven. Preheat broiler. Brown under broiler for about 2 minutes or until sugar is lightly caramelized or browned. Serve hot.
SERVING TIP: Serve with “Ensalada Chilena”: a mixture of equal amounts of finely sliced onion and finely sliced, peeled tomatoes in a salt, pepper, oil, lemon juice and chopped cilantro dressing.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
Something new and tasty!
This is a different twist on a old recipe, but my husband loved it! I always make it with ground beef and chicken, but now I suprise him every now and then!
different country style
I'm sure I will be trying this one for my family all kinds of healthy ingredents inside of this dish. My family Loves one dish meals.
Serving Size: 1/12 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 720
- Calories from Fat: 470
- Total Fat: 52g (81% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 14g (72% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 190mg (63% of DV)
- Sodium: 750mg (31% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 38g (13% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 5g (19% of DV)
- Sugars: 17g
- Protein: 24g
- Vitamin A: 25% of DV
- Vitamin C: 15% of DV
- Calcium: 10% of DV
- Iron: 15% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.