Fruits are used throughout Mexican cooking and desserts are no exception. In this tropical delight, fresh juicy mangoes are puréed with a touch of cinnamon and rum then blended into a simple cooked pudding. This scrumptious dessert is easy to whip up for family meals yet elegant enough for dinner parties.
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 2/3 cup (5 fl. oz. can) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 3/4 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/2 cup water
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups chopped fresh mangoes (about 2 medium)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon rum (optional)
- Garnish suggestions: Swirl of Mexican cajeta sauce, chopped nuts, fresh berries or a sprig of fresh mint
PLACE cornstarch in medium, heavy-duty saucepan. Gradually add evaporated milk, stirring constantly, until cornstarch is dissolved. Add sweetened condensed milk, water and salt. Place saucepan on burner. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat. Pour mixture into large bowl. Let cool for 30 minutes.
PLACE mangoes, cinnamon and rum in blender; cover. Blend until smooth. Pour mango mixture into cooled milk mixture; stir. Place maicilla in blender; cover. Blend until well blended.
POUR the maicilla into dessert bowls or glasses. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Garnish as desired.
Review This Recipe
I made this as a special addition to a birthday party. I should have made more. It was gone before the birthday cake!! Everyone LOVED it!
Read More Reviews