Turkey Enchilada Stack transforms Thanksgiving leftovers in this Mexican-inspired dish featuring layers of turkey, shredded cheese, warm tortillas and homemade enchilada sauce. It'll be 'gobbled' up in no time.
Read more about this leftover saving recipe on the Nestlé Kitchens blog.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 1/2 to 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons MAGGI Instant Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup (5 fluid-ounce can) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 6 king size (7 1/2-inch) corn tortillas
- 3 cups shredded white meat turkey or meat from 2 lb. rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded light cheddar or Mexican-blend cheese, divided
- 1 cup sliced green onions, divided
- 1 can (2 1/4 ounces) sliced black olives, drained, divided (optional)
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- Light sour cream (optional)
PREHEAT oven to 350° F.
HEAT oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in chili powder, cumin, sugar and bouillon; cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Stir in tomato paste, water and evaporated milk; cook for a few minutes to heat through. Pour through fine-mesh strainer; discard onion/garlic pieces.
HEAT tortillas in microwave on HIGH (100%) power for 40 seconds or until very warm.
SPOON 2 tablespoons sauce over bottom of 9-inch-round deep-dish pie plate. Place 2 tortillas over sauce, covering entire bottom of pie plate. Top with 1 1/2 cups turkey, ¾ cup cheese, 1/2 cup green onions, half of the olives and 1 tablespoon cilantro. Top with about ½ cup sauce. Place 2 more tortillas over top. Sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 cups turkey, ¾ cup cheese, remaining 1/2 cup green onions, remaining olives and 1 tablespoon cilantro. Top with about ½ cup sauce. Top with remaining 2 tortillas. Pour remaining sauce over tortillas. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese; cover loosely with foil.
BAKE for 25 minutes or until heated through. Remove foil and bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro before serving. Serve with sour cream.
Cook's Tip: Like it spicy? Stir 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chiles into sauce.