Veal cutlets, celery, onions, tomatoes and garlic are some of the highlights of this exceptional Mediterranean-inspired dish. This Veal Cutlets with Tangy Tomato Sauce recipe is sure to impress!
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound veal cutlets, pounded to 1/4-inch-thickness, if necessary
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons MAGGI Granulated Chicken Flavor Bouillon, divided
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) peeled and diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
MIX flour and pepper in small bowl. Coat both sides of veal with flour mixture; set aside.
HEAT 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon bouillon; cook, stirring frequently, until bouillon is dissolved. Add veal; cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove veal from skillet; set aside.
ADD carrots, onions, celery and garlic to same skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 to 6 minutes or until onion is tender; remove from skillet and place in prepared baking dish.
HEAT remaining butter and remaining oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes and juice, vinegar, basil, thyme, lemon peel, bay leaf and remaining 1 teaspoon bouillon. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes or until sauce thickens.
PLACE veal over vegetables in baking dish. Top veal with tomato mixture. Cover with foil.
BAKE for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Sprinkle with parsley.