Vermont Spice Cake
Winter in Vermont means snowbound days good for baking. But you don't have to live in Vermont to enjoy this spicy, maple-flavored cake crowned with an icy cream cheese frosting sprinkled with chopped nuts.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 1/2 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- MAPLE FROSTING
- 11 ozs. cream cheese (an 8-oz pkg plus a 3-oz pkg), softened
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons maple flavoring*
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts and nut halves (optional)
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
COMBINE flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in small bowl. Beat sugar and butter in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs; beat for 2 minutes. Beat in pumpkin, evaporated milk, water and vanilla extract. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared cake pans.
BAKE for 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 15 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
FOR MAPLE FROSTING
BEAT cream cheese, butter and powdered sugar in large mixer bowl until fluffy. Add maple flavoring; mix well.
CUT each cake in half horizontally with long, serrated knife. Frost between layers and on top of cake, leaving sides unfrosted. Garnish with nuts, if desired.
To make a 2-layer cake, frost between layers, over top and on sides of cake.
* 3 teaspoons maple flavoring are suggested for a stronger maple flavor.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
Vermont Spice Cake
This is one of the best cake I have ever made!!
I make this quite often. Only I don't ice it and I don't bake them into two rounds..I pour batter into two loaf pans.
vermont spice cake
i found this cake to be one of the best i have had.
I have made this cake several times and often by request. Although this cake is "challenging" the bigger challenge is not to eat it all yourself. I have brought this cake to fund-raisers and parties and it's rare that I get to take home slices. I personally do not like pumpkin pie but I love this cake! You will not be disappointed with this. Happy Baking!
You will NEVER be sorry if you make this great cake! EVERYONE that I know who has tasted it- LOVES it!!!
Serving Size: 1/12 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 607
- Calories from Fat: 231
- Total Fat: 25.7g (39% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 15.5g (77% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 122mg (41% of DV)
- Sodium: 529mg (21% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 88.3g (28% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 2.2g (9% of DV)
- Sugars: 60.3g
- Protein: 7.7g
- Vitamin A: 20% of DV
- Vitamin C: 2% of DV
- Calcium: 9% of DV
- Iron: 22% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.