Whole-Grain Pie Crust
A quick, and healthy, crust for all of your pies - no matter the occasion. This whole-grain crust will add texture and color to your favorite pies without losing the taste you love.
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats, finely ground
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 to 3 tablespoons very cold water
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
SHAPE dough into ball; place on lightly floured sheet of wax paper. Top with additional piece of wax paper. Roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Remove top sheet of wax paper and invert dough into 9-inch deep-dish (4-cup volume) pie plate. Slowly peel away wax paper. Trim excess crust. Turn edge under; crimp as desired.
• Substitute whole-wheat pastry flour for a finer textured, flakier pie crust.
• Oats can be finely ground in a food processor or blender.
• This whole-grain pie crust is great with LIBBY'S® Famous or Lighter LIBBY'S® Pumpkin Pie filling found on VeryBestBaking.com. No need to prebake the crust. Just substitute this crust for the deep-dish pie shell called for in the recipe. Follow the temperatures and bake times stated in the recipe.
• To make two crusts, double all ingredients, follow procedure above and divide dough in half.
• If a prebaked crust is needed for your recipe, preheat oven to 400º F. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Be the first to review this recipe!
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
Serving Size: 1/8 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 130
- Calories from Fat: 70
- Total Fat: 8g (12% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 5g (25% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 20mg (7% of DV)
- Sodium: 200mg (8% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 13g (4% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 2g (8% of DV)
- Sugars: 1g
- Protein: 2g
- Vitamin A: 4% of DV
- Vitamin C: 0% of DV
- Calcium: 0% of DV
- Iron: 4% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.