This versatile Winter Squash Soup can be served as an appetizer for a fall or winter meal, or as a lunch or dinner main entrée when you are looking for a lighter meal. Garnish each serving with sour cream and grated lime peel.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped gingerroot
- 2 packages (12-oz.) frozen winter squash, defrosted and puréed
- 1 can (14.5-oz.) chicken broth
- 1 can (11.5-oz.) pear nectar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lime peel
MELT butter in large saucepan; add shallot and ginger. Cook until tender. Add squash, broth and nectar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until boiling. Season with salt and ground black pepper; garnish each serving with sour cream and lime peel.