Yucatan-Style Shredded Pork
This Yucatan-Style Shredded Pork recipe is robust with citrus flavors and spices and is delicious!
- 5 pounds boneless pork butt or shoulder
- 1 package (3.5 ounces) achiote (annatto seed seasoning)
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 to 5 teaspoons MAGGI Granulated Chicken Flavor Tomato Bouillon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
- Marinated Red Onions (recipe follows - need to prepare ahead)
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
PLACE achiote seasoning, water, orange juice, lime juice, garlic, bouillon, cumin, pepper and oregano in blender; cover. Blend until smooth. Pour over pork; refrigerate overnight turning pork over halfway through marinating process.
PLACE pork and marinating liquid in large saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover. Cook for 1 1/2 hours. Uncover; cook, stirring frequently, for an additional 30 minutes or until pork is tender and liquid has thickened and reduced to about 2 cups. Shred pork and return to sauce in saucepan. Serve with Marinated Red Onions, warm corn tortillas and salsa of choice such as habanero salsa, if desired.
MARINATED RED ONIONS
(Makes 3 cups)
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon MAGGI Granulated Chicken Flavor Tomato Bouillon, dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup cider vinegar
PLACE onion in medium
bowl. Cover with bouillon
mixture, lime juice and
vinegar. Marinate overnight.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Be the first to review this recipe!
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
Serving Size: 1/13 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 13
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 290
- Calories from Fat: 110
- Total Fat: 13g (19% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 4.5g (22% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 115mg (39% of DV)
- Sodium: 600mg (25% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 8g (3% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 1g (4% of DV)
- Sugars: 2g
- Protein: 34g
- Vitamin A: 2% of DV
- Vitamin C: 20% of DV
- Calcium: 4% of DV
- Iron: 15% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.