Bo Kho (Vietnamese-Style Beef Stew)
Bo Kho is a delicious Vietnamese-Style Beef Stew uniquely flavored with lemon grass, Chinese five spice, coconut juice and tomatoes. Beef gets its extra flavor from a tasty and easy marinade. Garnish with cilantro for a final flair.
- 2 lb. beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 stalks fresh lemon grass, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons MAGGI Seasoning Sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon MAGGI Instant Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five spice
- 1 can (12 fl. oz.) coconut juice
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 4 large carrots, sliced diagonally
- Chopped cilantro (optional)
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
HEAT remaining 1 tablespoon oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add beef and marinade; sprinkle with Chinese five spice. Cook, stirring frequently, until beef is no longer pink. Add coconut juice, tomato paste and carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover. Cook for 30 to 40 minutes or until beef is tender. Add remaining 1 tablespoon seasoning sauce. Serve with chopped cilantro.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
When I read the ingredients and saw and 4-star review I thought this dish would be great, but after trying it I have to say that I'm just not impressed. It was too bland and the tomato paste overwhelmed the coconut juice. The seasoning wasn't quite right and I couldn't figure out what to add that would ajust the taste to my liking. I also think that the cooking time needs to be increased to make the meat more tender. My suggestion: cook the beef for 20 minutes, add the carrots and cook for another 30 to 40 minutes or cut the beef cubes into 1/2-inch pieces and cook as directed. There was one thing that I did like - the preparation was very quick and it was easy to cook.
Please note the cocconut juice in this recipe is not cocconut cream. The recipe looks very good, I think cocconut juice can be substitute with water and 1-2 teaspoon of water. Thanks
Serving Size: 1/6 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 520
- Calories from Fat: 350
- Total Fat: 39g (59% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 14g (72% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 110mg (36% of DV)
- Sodium: 830mg (35% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 14g (5% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 4g (15% of DV)
- Sugars: 8g
- Protein: 27g
- Vitamin A: 130% of DV
- Vitamin C: 15% of DV
- Calcium: 6% of DV
- Iron: 25% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.