Easy Chocolate Layer Cake with Chocolate Buttercream
This easy layer cake will soon become your favorite chocolate cake recipe! Buttermilk keeps the cake moist, coffee boosts the chocolate flavor and real chocolate buttercream frosting tops it off.
- 3/4 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa, plus extra for coating pans
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup lowfat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 NESCAFÉ DOLCE GUSTO Dark Roast Caffé Grande Intenso capsule, brewed according to package directions (7 fl. oz.)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate Buttercream (recipe follows)
Directions, Reviews, Nutrition
SIFT flour, sugar, ¾ cup cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt together into a large mixer bowl. Beat in eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla extract until combined. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
BAKE for 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Invert each layer onto wire rack; remove parchment paper, then invert right-side-up. Cool completely; then place in the refrigerator or freezer as you prepare the frosting (it’s easier to frost a cold cake).
FOR CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM: BEAT 1 cup room temperature butter and ½ cup sifted NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add 4 cups sifted powdered sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and beat on low until combined. Slowly beat in 4 to 6 tablespoons milk or heavy cream until creamy.
TO ASSEMBLE: LEVEL (trim tops off) the cakes if desired using a serrated knife. Place a dollop of frosting in the center of a cake pedestal or serving platter so the cake won’t slip. Place one cake layer over dollop of frosting. Spread about 1 cup frosting over top. Top with second cake layer. Cover the top and sides with a thin layer of frosting (this is the "crumb coat"; it doesn't have to be perfect). Refrigerate for 15 minutes; frost with the remaining frosting.
What did you think? Share Your Review »
Be the first to review this recipe!
Thank you for reviewing this recipe.
Serving Size: 1/12 of Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 530
- Calories from Fat: 190
- Total Fat: 21g (32% of DV)
- Saturated Fat: 10g (52% of DV)
- Cholesterol: 75mg (26% of DV)
- Sodium: 370mg (16% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 83g (28% of DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 2g (8% of DV)
- Sugars: 66g
- Protein: 5g
- Vitamin A: 10% of DV
- Vitamin C: 0% of DV
- Calcium: 6% of DV
- Iron: 8% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.